Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The GDrive

The GDrive is one of those new technologies we will be expected to at least know about if not use for ourselves. The idea of total cloud computing does not appeal to me as of yet. I don't mind using an internet based server to save my pictures and other things. I am a Mac user, and I got used to that idea with the announcement of MobileMe. However, MobileMe and other services like it don't offer free unlimited space to store everything that would be on a hard drive. I like the freedom to choose what I load into cyberspace. Like the author of my article about the GDrive states, the idea of free unlimited storage in Google's huge databases wouldn't be so bad if we as subscribers would be allowed to pick and choose what we save. However, I don't deny the development of the GDrive would be a serious technological advancement, and the idea of not needing a hard drive anymore is revolutionary. In fact, it is something that is slightly hard for me to fathom. In short, although I concede that the GDrive would be an extremely useful new advancement that will likely change the way we think about computers, I am not quite ready to trust it yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment