Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Texting and Education

The problem at T.C. Williams High School seems like one of those things that has been sorely neglected at the administrative level. There was a time at my high school when the administration couldn't back up their handbook threats on cellphone use, however; when it became obvious that cellphones were a problem, my school began cracking down. There were always the few brazen ones who would defy any rule put in front of them, but for the most part, when we saw they were serious, we followed orders rather than have our precious cellphones taken or worse. T.C. Williams could fairly easily handle the problem it is having with its students and cellphone use without advising parents to take texting off their childrens' plans. That wouldn't solve anything actually. Kids would still find some reason to have their phones and use them unless they crack down on discipline. 
As for texting away my education, I have to disagree. I am just as attached to my phone as the next person. I will also admit that I feel insecure and somehow unattached when I don't have it. I also text a great deal especially when I have some simple message I need to relay. However, it doesn't eat away at my concentration or my education, because I won't let it. I know when cellphone use is appropriate. I realize that that there are those that don't realize what's appropriate or don't care. However, taking away texting from students of any age (middle, high school, or college) is not going to fix their concentration problems. We as a society should know by now that there are a million other things that can occupy our attention if we are being forced to do something we don't want to do. If we took away texting, we would also have to take away Facebook, because now we have the technology to access that from our phones. The "nerdy" students may be reading in class instead of texting. Are you going to take away books?

No comments:

Post a Comment